San Pellegrino Young Chef of the Year
Zero Café + Bar Executive Chef Vinson Perillo battled it out among the ten US finalists for the spot to represent the United States in the San Pellegrino Young Chef of the Year competition. His winning dish at the New York finals was Pressurized Octopus, Chorizo, “Parsley” Wagyu Cheek Agnilotti, and Octopus Ink Emulsion. He now moves on to compete in the international finals in Milan, Italy this June 25-27, 2015.
The international chef finalists will be mentored by a master chef from their own region, who will guide them through the rigorous process of honing and perfecting their signature dish. Chef Petrillo will be mentored by Wylie Dufresne – the 2013 James Beard Foundation award winner for Best Chef New York City.
Each of the chefs will pair up with a talented emerging designer chosen by Vogue Italia. The designers will come up with a fashion creation inspired by their partner’s dish, giving rise to an unprecedented fusion of fine food and style. A-morir founder/designer Kerin Rose Weinberg has been paired with Chef Petrillo. Weinberg is celebrated for her couture-worthy, luxury glasses and statement pieces.
Here are the 20 regions, their representative chefs and fellow designers
1) ITALY – Chef: Paolo Griffa; Designer: Vivetta
2) FRANCE – Chef: Paul Feybesse; Designer: Maison Père Camille Omerin
3) GERMANY-AUSTRIA – Chef: Tobias Wussler; Designer: Arthur Arbesser
4) SWITZERLAND – Chef: Martin Elschner; Designer: Portenier Roth
5) SPAIN-PORTUGAL – Chef: David Andrés Morera; Designer: Moises Nieto
6) UK-IRELAND – Chef: Mark Moriarty; Designer: Kirsty Ward
7) RUSSIA/BALTICS/CIS (EX SOVIET UNION) – Chef: Eldar Muradov; Designer: Anton Belinskiy
8) SCANDINAVIA (NORWAY/SWEDEN/FINLAND/DENMARK) – Chef: Christian André Pettersen; Designer: Altewai Saome
9) EAST EUROPE – Chef: Stefan Barca; Designer: Dora Abodi
10) BENELUX – Chef: Alex Joseph; Designer: Hellen Van Rees
11) MEDITERRANEAN COUNTRIES – Chef: Alexandros Tsiotinis; Desgner: Daizy Shely
12) USA – Chef: Vinson Petrillo; Designer: A Morir
13) CANADA – Chef: Paul Moran; Designer CG Chris Gelinas
14) AFRICA-MIDDLE EAST – Chef: Angelo Scirocco; Designer: Ashi Studio
15) LATIN AMERICA / CARIBBEAN – Chef: Maria José Jordan; Designer: Paula Cademartori
16) PACIFIC (AUSTRALIA/NZ/PACIFIC ISLANDS) – Chef: Peter Gunn; Designer: Christopher Esber
17) CHINA – Chef: Zhu Wenyuan; Designer: Xiao Li
18) JAPAN – Chef: Ryoma Shida; Designer: Yasutoshi Ezumi
19) NORTHERN-EAST ASIA – Chef: Jinyong Park; Designer: Miuniku
20) SOUTHERN-EAST ASIA – Chef: Kirk Westaway; Designer: Ken Samudio
About the Expo*: Expo Milano 2015 is the Universal Exhibition that Milan, Italy, will host from May 1 to October 31, 2015. Over this six-month period, Milan will become a global showcase where more than 140 participating countries will show the best of their technology that offers a concrete answer to a vital need: being able to guarantee healthy, safe and sufficient food for everyone, while respecting the Planet and its equilibrium. In addition to the exhibitor nations, the Expo also involves international organizations, and expects to welcome over 20 million visitors to its 1.1 million square meters of exhibition area.
Don’t miss any updates on the event by following the hashtag #SPYoungChef.