Ashton Keefe Cooking Class
Zero George Cooking School will host another installment of its guest chef series by hosting a demonstration style class with Ashton Keefe on Saturday, June 13 from 11 am – 1 pm. Call 843-817-7900 to reserve your spot!
Keefe is a classically trained chef from Manhattan’s French Culinary Institute and a former lead instructor at NYC’s Haven’s Kitchen. Keefe’s most recent endeavor is the publication of her first cookbook: Lemon & Salt: A Modern Girls’ Guide to Culinary Revelry.
For the class, Keefe will be introducing some “Boozy Brunch” recipes from her cookbook, which was written to inspire seasonal culinary revelry for the modern woman and emphasizes the beauty of simplicity in the kitchen. How delicious is this menu for the cooking class?!
This entertaining class includes a complimentary glass of sparkling wine, samples, and a meal of what is prepared during class. Each participant will receive a complimentary book with bonus recipes.
Keefe believes that “simplicity is at the heart of all great cooking. And all you need for good cooking is acid and salt. Which is where the idea of Lemon & Salt was born.”
Tickets are $125/person and will include food, wine and a copy of Lemon & Salt: A Modern Girls’ Guide to Culinary Revelry. Reservations are encouraged early and may be made by calling 843-817-7900. Visit our website for more information about the about Zero George Cooking School.
Keefe has shared a recipe with us from her cookbook!
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
Makes 1 bundt cake
I love lemon poppy seed in all forms. A friend’s grandmother gave this recipe to me and I couldn’t love a recipe more. It’s perfect for someone who enjoys eating dessert all day long (me!) because it’s just sweet enough to feel like you’re indulging but light enough to have for breakfast or an afternoon snack. Like a pound cake but lighter.
2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cups vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup evaporated milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 lemon zest and juices, divided
1/4 cup poppy seeds
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In another large bowl, mix oil and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the evaporated milk, the milk, and the vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice (leave 1 tablespoon for icing) and poppy seeds. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out with moist crumbs attached. Let cool for 20 minutes.
To make lemon icing, combine remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice with powdered sugar and whisky until there are not lumps and sugar is moist. Drizzle over cake and allow it to harden.
Tip: Evaporated milk is a shelf stable milk product that’s had about half it’s water content removed. It is not the same as sweetened condensed milk, which has added sugar. Don’t attempt to substitute regular milk or sweetened condensed milk for this!
Can’t make Keefe’s Charleston class? Check out her complete Cooking Class Tour Schedule:
- Friday, April 2: Kings Cooking Studio, Short Hills, NJ 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM. Click here to sign up.
- Wednesday, April 8: Whole Foods Market Bowery, NYC 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM. Please call (212) 420-1320 (ext.245) or click here sign up.
- Tuesday, April 21: Kings Cooking Studio, Short Hills, NJ 11 AM – 2 PM. Click here to sign up.
- Wednesday, April 22: 90 Acres Culinary Center, Bedminster, NJ 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM. Click here to sign up.
- Thursday, April 30: Hudson Table, Hoboken, NJ 6:30 PM – 9 PM. Click here and scroll to 4/30 to sign up.
- Friday, May 1: Kings Cooking Studio, Short Hills, NJ 11 AM – 2 PM. Stay tuned for how to sign up.
- Saturday, May 2: Williams Sonoma, The Mall at Short Hills, 11 AM – 2 PM. Open house.
- Wednesday, June 10: Whole Foods Market Bowery, NYC 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM. Please call (212) 420-1320 (ext.245) to sign up.
- Saturday, June 13: Zero George Cooking School, Charleston, SC 11 AM – 1 PM. Please call (843) 817-7900 to sign up.
- Sunday, June 14: Institute of Culinary Education, NYC. 6 PM – 10 PM. Stay tuned for sign up!
- Tuesday, June 16: Haven’s Kitchen, NYC. 7 PM – 9 PM. Stay tuned for sign up